Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transmission Shift Solenoid - where is it located?

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

Default Transmission Shift Solenoid - where is it located?

Ok, so im trying to track down this transmission problem in my nieces 1999 ZX2. It has a automatic transmission. The check engine light comes on. I had it scanned, it was code P0751. When driving it, say around 30mph if you kind of gun it to speed up sometimes it feels as if the transmission slips. The engine revs up but the car does not speed up. If you let off the gas, wait a couple seconds and hit it again it speeds up just fine. Its really hard to explain in a way.
    The guy at AutoZone who scanned it said it was a sticking transmission shift solenoid. He tells me that on this paticular car the solenoids are inside of the transmission case, that it would have to be pulled out of the car and taken apart to replace. I find that hard to believe. Anyone have any clue-are these just sticking to the outside of the transmission or are the inside? Exactly where are they located? How hard are they to change? Am i on the right path here-i mean could this be the actual problem or might it be something else?
    If we ignore this problem what damage could be done? I mean i dont want to end up destroying the transmission over something that can be repaired now, but then again she doesnt have the money to soak into a huge repair bill either way.
    As long as the car is driven at a steady pace it runs great, but lets say you gun it to merge into traffic on a freeway, go up a steep hill or to go around someone this happens. Its not everytime either. It only happens sometimes.

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

All of the shift solenoids are on the valve body. Solenoid #1 (P0751) is the horizontally mounted one on the lower part of the valve body.
    Before You attempt any repairs, change the fluid and filter. Seen it " repair" a lot of transmissions. What condition is the fluid in the transmission now? Burnt smell or black.

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

Im gonna give that a shot, changing the transmission fluid&filter probably this weekend before we do anything else. We bought this car used a couple months back, its hard to say if the fluid has ever been changed or not.
    Thanks for the info.
    Last edited by DaytonDave; 05-06-2009 at 04:47 AM.

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

Ok, now we are having serious transmission problems with this vehicle. It started acting ok shortly after i first posted this thread, so unwisely i kind of forgot about it all and did not bother to change the fluid or anything. Not being my car and i only see it once or twice a week is the reason why. Now today i find out that the car wont go into second gear. Just first and reverse. Is it too late to change the transmission fluid? Is their any chance that will help at this point-or have we went past the point of no return?
    I have never dealt with transmission problems, i have been lucky enough to have never had such problems in the past with any car i have owned so i am kind of in the dark here. Still debating if we should rebuild this or replace the transmission or just sell/trade the car off. If i go with a used transmission is it possible to use one from a Ford Focus or similar Ford for this vehicle? I called several salvage yards and none had a transmission for a ZX2 is why im asking. Whats the best idea, rebuilding or replacing it with a salvaged unit?

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

The code said shift solenoid one. That is the solenoid that controls the shift from 1 to 2.
    It could be the solenoid or wiring. It is likely that the shift valve is stuck in the valve body.
    What you want to do with it is up to you. With an inoperative transmission the car isn't worth much.

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

I had a code like this... mine isn't severe yet... but the guy at ford told me the shift selonoid was in the shifter assembly... i replaced that from a junkyard shifter assembly and it never fixed the problem so i am just babying it till i do the MTX swap... but mine i have no overdrive, and if i gas it to hard car just stalls... forgot code number but it was either A. stuck shift selonoid... or B. internal transmition problem...

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

That Ford guy is an idiot.

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

Ok, this car has been sitting for quite some time now. Not my car-if it were i would have it fixed by now. It belongs to a niece and my parents are the ones who are probably gonna be paying for the repair. They cant figure out what they want to do with it.
    Im wanting to try replacing the shift solenoid/s before we do anything as major as replacing or rebuilding the transmission. Problem is i have no clue what they are, what they look like, where they are at, if they have purple wings and fly or what. What are we looking at here-i have looked all around the net for some sort of diagram of the internal workings of the ZX2 transmission but cant find anything. Does anyone have such a diagram or pictures? How hard are these solenoids to get to? Could someone give me a basic idea of what is needed in replacing these? What im really trying to figure out is can they be replaced without taking the transmission out of the vehicle, or can they be replaced with the tranny still in the car by simply dropping the transmission pan and going from there? Or are they stuck to the outside of the transmission somewhere?
    Needless to say i am no mechanic and not going to be the one doing this work. I have a friend who is a semi-skilled mechanic, but hes wanting to just get a used transmission and throw it in there, im leaning more on trying to fix this one if its possible if their isnt that much wrong with it.
    On a scale of 1 to 10 with 1 being easiest and 10 being hardest what are we talking here? How hard are these solenoids to change?
    Sorry if i sound like a total newbie-ive just never had to deal with transmission problems before.

Oh, and i went to a Ford dealer and talked to the people in the parts department to see if they had these solenoids and how much they are-they looked at me like they had no clue what a transmission solenoid was. The way they talked is that the solenoids all come with the valve body of the transmission-you have to buy the entire thing. I dont know if they were B/Sng me or what. I might go to a different dealership to see what they say.

Just looking for a little help and advice, please keep in mind im kind of in the dark so keep any answers simple.
    Thanks!

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

Looks like the Ford parts guy is correct.

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  
    Thanks for the how to video - texzetec A toast to Ron Paul :D - powder To you and your family bud. - RASCAL 

They can be individually replaced from what I can tell looking into the tranmission. It seems they can't be individually bought. If you remove the filter, you'll be able to see the valve body. Replacing it shouldn't be any harder then removing the bolts that hold it up and putting the new one in.

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

All valve body sensors can be changed via dropping the pan and pulling the filter. The valve body can then be dropped by removing a few bolts and all sensors are accessible this way.

All solenoids in the valve body are replaceable, if you can't find one local I can get you one.

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

Ok,
    I know you guys are probably getting tired of hearing from me regarding this.
    We replaced the shift solenoids today and also changed the transmission filter and fluid, and the problem is still there. It wont shift out of first gear, if you really push it you can get it up to around 25-30mph, but you really have to rev the engine high to get it there.
    What else could be wrong?
    Is there some sort of Transmission Computer in these cars, and if so where is it located at? Could it be the problem?
    I really feel bad here, my parents put all this money into these parts and my friend spent all day working on it and we are back at square one. Meanwhile my niece still has no car.
    I have a feeling they are ready to just trade the car off and take what they can get out of it-which is a shame because its such a nice looking little car. Very clean inside and out.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Last edited by DaytonDave; 07-31-2009 at 05:47 PM.

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  
    MerryChristmas.. hope you like pie - 2000zx2chik 

how many miles on the tranny and what is the condition of the fluid...

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  

Quote Originally Posted by jjzx2sr View Post
    how many miles on the tranny and what is the condition of the fluid...
    around 120,000 on the car, we changed the transmission fluid yesterday when we changed the solenoids.

Bank
    Total Points
    Donate  
    MerryChristmas.. hope you like pie - 2000zx2chik 

Quote Originally Posted by DaytonDave View Post
    around 120,000 on the car, we changed the transmission fluid yesterday when we changed the solenoids.
    what did the fluid look and smell like, besides the solenoid, the 2-4 band and servo apply to make the car shift from 1 to 2

Thread Information